Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Monogamy shmonogamy

I might take flack for this, but I do not believe that monogamy is natural. Now, hear me out before you get all defensive or judgemental.

If ppl were left to their own devices, monogamy would be non-existent. Monogamy is a societally imposed norm, not a natural condition. Now, that's not to say I don't believe in practicing monogamy, I'm just saying I don't believe it's natural.

I'm not condonning polygamy/bigamy though ! But if ppl were not raised in a society that imposed monogamy as the norm, I believe that most would have "open" relationships. We are conditioned to believe that monogamy is the correct path.

Speaking of societally imposed norms, society pisses me off. Just because I choose to be single and I don't want to get married and have 2.4 kids with the white picket fence, I'm an outsider. I get pity looks from ppl in couples cuz they feel sorry for me. Apparently, according to society, I should want to get married, start a family, and settle down. But I don't. And that makes me an outsider or defective in some way or something.

I don't believe in marriage. I've seen too many ppl stray or try to stray in relationships that I've lost faith in the sanctity of marriage. And I don't see why I have to spend all this money on one day to prove that I love someone. Why do I need that little piece of paper to show that I love them ? why isn't me telling them that enough. And on that subject, why do ppl feel the need for me to be in a relationship to be happy ? Why can't I be happy being single ? I don't want pity cuz I'm single. I choose to be single. I like being single. I like the freedom of doin' whatever I want whenever I want. I'm tired of getting the pity looks or ppl trying to set me up with anybody and everybody just cuz they think I'll be happier being in a 'couple'.

well, this turned into more or a rant that I had anticipated. oops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home